William Ward Burrows (16 Jan 1758 – 6 March 1805) was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served with distinction in the Revolutionary War with the South Carolina state militia. After the war, he moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to practice law. On the day following an act of Congress to establish a permanent United States Marine Corps (11 July 1798), President John Adams appointed Burrows Major Commandant. During his tenure as Commandant, the manpower strength of the Marine Corps never exceeded 881 officers, noncommissioned officers, privates, and musicians. Note that by tradition, Samuel Nicholas was the first officer to serve as Commandant of Continental Marines, but Burrows was the first appointed Commandant of the U. S. Marine Corps. In history, Burrows is regarded as the Second Commandant of the Marine Corps.
After the United States won its independence from Great Britain, America no longer benefitted from the protection of the British Navy. America was suddenly facing the arduous and expensive task of protecting its own seacoast and merchant fleet. Few American ships were available to take on this task, and few were even capable of such a mission. The Kingdom of France was a crucial ally of the United States during the Revolutionary War, had loaned the Continental Congress large sums of money, and in 1778, signed an agreement with the United States for an alliance against Great Britain. In 1792, Louis XVI was overthrown during the French Revolution and the French monarchy was abolished.
In 1794, the United States forged an agreement with Great Britain in the Jay Treaty, which was ratified in the following year. The Jay Treaty resolved several issues between the US and Great Britain that had lingered since the end of the revolution. The Jay Treaty encouraged bilateral trade and expanded trade between the two nations, the effects of which stimulated America’s fledgling economy. Between 1794 and 1801, the value of American exports tripled. Not every American supported the Jay Treaty, however. Jeffersonian Democrat-Republicans were pro-French and fought an alliance with Great Britain at every turn.
France and Great Britain were at war, but the United States declared neutrality. As US legislation was being formulated for a trade deal with the British, Congress refused to continue making payments on the debt owed to France from the Revolutionary War. The United States argued that their obligation was to the King of France. Since there was no longer a king in France, the United States no longer had an obligation to pay this debt.
France was not pleased. Initially, the French government authorized privateers to seize American ships trading with Great Britain, taking the ships to France as prizes of war, and sold for compensation. Next, the French refused to receive the United States Ambassador to France, Charles C. Pinckney. The effect of this was the complete severance of diplomatic relations between the United States and France. President John Adams delivered his annual message to Congress, reporting to them that France refused to negotiate a settlement. Adams warned Congress: the time had come “to place our country in a suitable posture of defense.” The so-called XYZ Affair (French agents demanding bribes before engaging in substantive negotiations with US diplomats) incensed members of Congress and the general population.
It was in this setting that the Navy and Marine Corps had their humble beginnings. The Navy had few ships, and the Marines had few troops. Still, six or so months in advance of hostilities with France, the War Department began recruiting and enlisting able seamen to serve as Marines aboard frigates that had been authorized by Congress to meet the French threat. These initial units were small detachments assigned to ships of the U. S. Navy; ships that were still under construction.
During Major Burrows first several months, his principal concern was supplying men to serve with sea-going Marine Detachments. At this time, Headquarters Marine Corps was situated at a camp near Philadelphia until the national capital in Washington was ready to receive the government in 1800. Burrows sent a Marine guard detail to the Washington Navy Yard in March to protect government property. Burrows and his staff relocated to Washington in late July, settling into what today is called the Marine Barracks, 8th& I Streets.
Burrows was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel on 1 May 1800. The Quasi-War with France continued until September when the two countries finally settled their differences —and once these matters were resolved, Congress had no further interest in maintaining a naval establishment. Congressional attitudes embarrassed Burrows because he was trying to establish a war-ready Marine Corps on a peace time budget. The Barbary Wars broke out soon after the end of the Quasi-War. Adams lost the Presidency in 1801, and Thomas Jefferson, who was no friend of the Navy or Marine Corps, was inaugurated as President. In spite of Jefferson’s lack of interest, Burrows continued his struggle to man the much needed ship’s detachments gearing up for duty in the Mediterranean.
Lieutenant Colonel Burrows’ stewardship is credited with beginning many of the Marine Corps’ institutions, most notably the U. S. Marine Corps Band (now called the “President’s Own”). To create the band, Burrows relied heavily on personal contributions from his officers. Burrows was also a disciplinarian, demanding high standards of professional conduct from his officers. Due to ill health, which may be related to his relocation to Washington City, then an insect infested swamp, Burrows resigned his office on 6 March 1804. He died a year later while still residing in Washington. He was initially buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery in Georgetown, but on 12 May 1892, his remains were re-interred at the Arlington National Cemetery.
Part of Colonel Burrows’ legacy is his son, William Ward Burrows II (1795 – 1813), who served in the United States Navy from 1799 to his death in 1813. Lieutenant Burrows distinguished himself at Tripoli while serving aboard the USS Constitution. He died from wounds received during an engagement with HMS Boxer, while in command of the brig  USS Enterprise during the War of 1812 (derisively known at the time as Mr. Madison’s War). Burrows was buried at Eastern Cemetery in Portland, Maine, next to the slain commander of HMS Boxer, Samuel Blyth.
In recognition of his courage under fire, Lieutenant Burrows was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal :
That the President of the United States be requested to present to the nearest male relative of lieutenant William Burrows, and to lieutenant Edward R. McCall of the brig Enterprise, a gold medal with suitable emblems and devices; and a silver medal with like emblems and devices to each of the commissioned officers of the aforesaid vessel, in testimony of the high sense entertained in the conflict with the British sloop Boxer, on the fourth of September, in the year one thousand eight hundred and thirteen. And the President is also requested to communicate to the nearest male relative of lieutenant Burrows the deep regret which Congress feel for the loss of that valuable officer, who died in the arms of victory, nobly contending for his country’s rights and fame.
 A brig is a sailing vessel with two square-rigged masts. They were fast and maneuverable and used as both warships and cargo vessels. Brigs were among the first casualties of the age of steam because they required relatively large crews for their small size, and they were difficult to sail into the wind. A war brig was outfitted with between ten and eighteen guns.
 Since the American Revolution, Congress has commissioned gold medals as its highest expression of national appreciation for distinguished achievements and contributions. Shown above is the gold medal issued to John Paul Jones, the only Continental Navy Officer to receive this award. I could not find a likeness of the medal issued to Lieutenant Burrows. Credit for the image of the gold medal belongs to Jules Jaquemart, Loubat, J. F. Medallic History of the United States of America, New Milford (1878).